One of the most annoying nuisances is a fly. The most common of flies is the house fly, which is about 1/6 to 1/4 inch long and have a dull gray body. When flies feed they regurgitate some of the contents of their stomach onto their food to help break it down, then eat the food. This along with the fact that they leave fecal deposits everywhere they walk account for them being spreaders of diseases. One house fly can carry over one million bacteria! Along with this, they can transmit over sixty types of diseases. This is a big testament as to why one should never just accept flies being in their household.
Managing flies can be done by the home owner through some preventative measures. This includes the following:
- Sanitation is the most effective method of fly control. Cleaning food spills and garbage areas can greatly reduce a the number of flies at a home.
- Do not leave food out. Store in a sealed container if possible.
- Keep dumpsters as far away from your home as possible. Clean and empth them often. Be sure there is a lid for garbage cans and that is fits securely.
- Caulk all cracks and crevices, especially around openings such as windows and doors.
- Eliminate areas of excessive moisture build-up.
- Install screens on all windows or other openings that are left open for extended perioes od time.